Monday

Too Busy Making My Dreams A Reality...

 photo phonto_zps18d7216b.jpg
Who IS Charlie Brianna?
I am now 23 years young, a stylist assistant, designer/owner of Blindfold Eye wear, and ex-dancer. Dancing was always my number one passion, until 2009 when attending California Institute of The Arts became circumstantially impossible- and that's when my passion for fashion really began to soar. Though I've always been into getting all dressed up, I didn't become active in the fashion industry (building a legit resume) until Fall 2009. Four years later, I have an ever growing resume and I am thankful for all of the opportunities I am continually blessed with.

I decided this post was necessary for my blog because I receive tons of emails, texts, and Facebook messages asking for advice on how to get started as a wardrobe stylist, or even in the fashion industry in general. Although I have yet to become the legendary Fashion Mogul that I will one day be- I have undoubtedly accumulated a ton of business knowledge, and it has been a never ending learning experience thus far.

First things first, set a concrete goal for yourself, write it down, and persistently work towards it. These days, we have the world at our fingertips, and all it takes is research, reading books, and productivity. If becoming a stylist is your desire, here's my advice to you: Intern at PR firms, in the fashion department at magazines, and/or as a wardrobe assistant to already established stylists. You have to be willing to work for free before you start making money. Period. Collaborate with fellow aspiring photographers, stylists, and models to see your vision come to life. Read fashion blogs and websites. And like my dad always says, "Surround yourself with positive people and those who share similar interests". If they dont serve your higher purpose, gotta let em go.

Innovation. Not only in fashion, but in every business it is imperative to be innovative. Here's a few questions to ask yourself frequently: Why will my outreach be better than the next person's? What makes what I  have to offer unique? How can my approach in the fashion industry be one that is impactive and timeless? How will I stay relevent?

Network. Believe it or not, networking is a 'bread and butter' kinda aspect of the business because unfortunately (and sometimes fortunately), it's all about who you know more so than your talent. Go out to social events in your field. Whether it be fashion shows, trunk shows, release parties, launches, installations, etc. Networking is almost like selling yourself. You may feel uncomfortable at first but it's better to have said too much about yourself than too little. ALWAYS introduce yourself. Try to have business cards at all times...And last but not least, follow up! If you make a connection, keep in touch. Persistency is key.

"There's always someone who wants your spot. And there's always someone who has been where you are now, but isn't willing to share advice." So stay humble, and stay hungry. This is not a game. All you see is GLAMOUR, but behind the scenes is a lot of blood, sweat, and tears. You have to be tough to get through each and every day as a wardrobe stylist, as each day is different and it's not always easy...

So until next time, I'll leave you with this; 
Be innovative, be creative, network, stay inspired, and most importantly, stay hungry.

xo
Charlie Brianna